Notice of Special Election for the 60th Legislative District
COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA DEPARTMENT OF STATE
BUREAU OF ELECTIONS AND NOTARIES
CALENDAR FOR THE SPECIAL ELECTION TO BE HELD MAY 18, 2021
REPRESENTATIVE IN THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY FOR THE 60TH DISTRICT IN THE COUNTIES OF ARMSTRONG, BUTLER AND INDIANA
- Writ, prepared by presiding officer, served on the Secretary of the Commonwealth: March 17, 2021(At least 60 days prior to the special election. 25 P.S. § 2778).
- First day for political parties and minor political parties to nominate candidates by filing nomination certificates: March 17, 2021(25 P.S. § 2779).
- First day for political bodies to circulate and file nomination papers nominating candidates: March 17, 2021(25 P.S. § 2779).
- Last day to file nomination certificates and nomination papers: March 29, 2021(50 days prior to date of special election. 25 P.S. § 2779).
- Last day to file objections: 3 days after the deadline for filing: April 1, 2021(25 P.S. § 2782).
- Last day for Commonwealth Court to set a hearing on objections: 7 days after deadline for filing: April 5, 2021(25 P.S. § 2782).
- Last day to withdraw: 7 days after the deadline for filing: April 5, 2021(25 P.S. § 2783).
- Last day to file substituted nomination certificates: 7 days after the deadline for filing: April 5, 2021(25 P.S. §2784(c)).
- Last day to file objections to substituted nominations: 3 days after substituted nomination certificate is filed: Depends on filing date(25 P.S. § 2785).
- Last day for Secretary of the Commonwealth to certify names and residence of all candidates: April 18, 2021(30th day preceding the day fixed for the special election. 25 P.S. § 2786).
- Last day to register to vote before the election: May 3, 2021 (15 days before the special election. 25 P.S. § 3071(b)).
- Last day before the election on which official applications for civilian absentee and mail-in ballots may be received by the county board of elections: May 11, 2021 (Tuesday before special election. 25 P.S. §§ 3146.2a(a), 3150.12a(a)).
- All civilian absentee ballots must be received by the county board of elections no later than 8:00 P.M. on this day to be counted: May 18, 2021(On the day of the special election. 25 P.S. § 3146.6(a)).
- All mail-in ballots must be received by the county board of elections no later than 8:00 P.M. on this day to be counted: May 18, 2021(On the day of the special election. 25 P.S. § 3150.16(c)).
- Last day for county boards of elections to receive voted military and overseas absentee ballots: May 25, 2021(By 5:00 P.M. on the 7th day following a primary or election and must be voted no later than 11:59 P.M. on May 17th, 25 P.S. § 3146.8(g)(1) & 25 Pa.C.S. § 3511(a)).
- Political Parties, including Minor Political Parties, file nomination certificates, nominating candidates in accordance with party rules.
- Candidates of political bodies file nomination papers, obtaining signatures equal to 2% of the largest vote cast for any elected officer in that district at the last preceding election or the number of signatures required on a nomination petition for a political party candidate, whichever is greater. Signers of such papers must be qualified, registered electors of the district. The number of signatures required on nomination papers to be filed by candidates of political bodies for the Special Election for the 60th Legislative District is 598. All nomination papers must be accompanied by a properly completed candidate's affidavit and a copy of the Statement of Financial Interests required to be filed with the State Ethics Commission. In addition, a filing fee of $100.00 must be submitted with each set of nomination papers and must be paid by certified check or money order payable to the 'Commonwealth of Pennsylvania'.
NOTE: The Election Code provides that no person “who is a registered and enrolled member of a party (shall) be eligible to be the candidate of a political body for a special election.” 25 P.S. § 2911.1.
ETHICS LAW INFORMATION
All candidates for the Special Election must file Statements of Financial Interests with the State Ethics Commission and a copy of the Statement of Financial Interests with their nomination certificates or nomination papers. For further information, please call the State Ethics Commission at (717) 783-1610.