PASSPORTS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Hours: Monday thru Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Customers eligible to renew their passport have up to five years to renew their document after it expires. After five years from the expiration date, you must apply in person. Most countries require that your U.S. passport have at least six months of validity beyond the dates of your trip. You can visit travel.state.gov for more information.
The Prothonotary's Office has blank passport forms available to the public. Additionally, forms are available online at travel.state.gov. Any applicant with special circumstances should call the office (724) 284-5214 before coming in to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: Our office only processes new passports. The exception to this is if you were under the age of 16 when your last passport was issued or if your expired passport is more than 5 years past the expiration date. We have renewal forms in our office. They can also be obtained on travel.state.gov
What you need to bring with you when applying for a passport:
1. A completed application form DS-11.
2. The passport book application fee is $130.00 - 16 years of age and older; $100.00 - 15 years of age and younger. This fee is payable only be check or money order. Please make your check payable to the "US Department of State" and include your date of birth in the memo line of the check. This passport is valid for all types of travel.
3. The passport card application fee is $30.00 - 16 years of age and older; $15.00 15 years of age and younger. This fee is payable only by check or money order. Make your check payable to the "US Department of State" and include your date of birth in the memo line of the check. The card is only valid for land and sea travel only between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean.
4. The execution fee paid to the Prothonotary's Office for a passport is $35. Our office accepts cash, checks, money orders or credit cards.
5. One color (2 x 2) passport photo must accompany the application. Please note these are a very specific type of photo. Personal photos, school photos, etc. are not acceptable. AAA at the Clearview Mall and many drug store chains take passport photos for a fee.
6. A valid photo I.D. is required (i.e. a driver's license, state-issued I.D. card, military I.D.) Please bring a color copy, or we can make a copy for 50 cents per page.
8. Unless an applicant has a prior passport, a certified copy of his/her birth certificate obtained from the Vital Statistics Office from the state in which the applicant was born is needed. The certificate MUST have the raised seal. Both parents' names must appear on the birth certificate. All citizenship documentation must be submitted to the US Department of State with the passport application. The citizenship documentation will be returned to you via U.S. mail.
9. All applicants must appear in person. Children under 16 need both parents to sign the application. Do not sign the application until you are in front of an agent. If one parent/guardian cannot go with the child to apply for the passport, they can give permission by completing Form DS-3053 “Statement of Consent," which is available on travel.state.gov.