- Human Services
- Area Agency on Aging
- Health & Wellness
Health & Wellness
Community based programs that promote and offer instruction on having a healthy lifestyle are offered at County Senior Centers and community locations, in partnership with the Butler Family YMCA.
Programs include Stay Active and Independent for Life (SAIL), Healthy Steps in Motion (HISM) and Healthy Steps for Older Adults (HSOA) Evidence Based Fall Prevention workshops, and Chronic Disease Self-Management program (CDSMP) workshops.
Healthy Steps in Motion Fall Prevention program (HISM)
This falls prevention exercise program to adults 60 years of age and older. The program is taught by Certified Workshop Leaders and is designed for people of all fitness levels. It starts with a warm-up, followed by strength and balance exercises and ends with a cool-down stretch. There are three levels of exercises, which enable participants to continue HSIM for as long as they like.
Healthy Steps in Motion (HSIM) strives to reduce the risk of falling by:
- Building body strength
- Increasing flexibility
- Improving balance
Healthy Steps in Motion (HISM) Upcoming Workshops
- TBD Summer 2023 (check back or contact for details)
Healthy Steps for Older Adults Fall Prevention program (HSOA)
HSOA is an evidence-based fall prevention workshop for individuals 60 and older. The lecture program assists participants in determining their individual fall-risk based on medical, physical and environmental factors.
Classes are offered at no cost on an annual basis throughout Butler County.
Healthy Steps for Older Adults Fall Prevention (HSOA) Upcoming Workshops
- Butler Senior Center: Tuesday, February 21
Chronic Disease Self-Management program (CDSMP)
The Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP) is a 6-week workshop that meets for 2 ½ hours per week and helps older adults self-manage their chronic conditions.
Research has shown that individuals with various chronic conditions have similar concerns and problems. The goal of these workshops is to provide support and tools to help individuals deal not only with their disease(s) but also with the impact these diseases have on their lives and emotions.
Chronic Disease Self-Management program (CDSMP) Upcoming Workshops
- Butler Senior Center: Tuesday, March 7 through April 11
For registration information, contact the Area Agency on Aging at 724-282-3008 x 6 or visit the PA Department of Aging's Evidence Based Health and Wellness Workshop Page.
SAIL Evidence Based Exercise Program
SAIL classes are specifically designed for individuals 60 years old and older to help improve balance and mobility; reducing the risk of falls and improving the quality of life.
What to Expect:
- 1 hour of exercise
- Classes taught by qualified instructors
- You can sit or stand. Exercises are adapted for all physical levels
- Registration and participant waiver are required for enrollment
- No cost!
SAIL Live Class Schedule
- Butler Senior Center: (2 classes available) 9:00 A.M. - 9:45 A.M. or 10:00 A.M - 10:45 A.M. on Tuesday and Wednesday
- Cranberry Township Senior Center: 9:30 A.M. - 10:15 A.M. Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- Slippery Rock Senior Center: 10:00 A.M. - 10:45 A.M. on Tuesday
- Westminster Church: 11:00 A.M. - 11:45 A.M. on Tuesday and Thursday
Advanced registration required for live classes. Contact the Area Agency on Aging at 724-282-3008 48 hours prior to class (for Monday class, reserve by Thursday at noon)
Virtual Class Schedule
- Classes posted LIVE on the Area Agency on Aging's Facebook Page @ButlerAging
- Monday at 11:00 AM - Chair Class
- Wednesday at 11:00 AM - Moderate Level (Standing)
- Friday at 11:00 AM - Lower Level (Chair and Standing)